When you are focusing on eating clean food, and you want to reboot your metabolism with delicious plant-based, wholefoods, this soup should become to one of your staples.
serves 4 generous portions:
- 8 vine tomatoes, washes and halved
- 1 tin of chopped tomatoes
- 1 small sachet of tomato paste (one without too many additives)
- 4 cups of water
- 1 vegetable stock cube, or 1 heaped table spoon of veggie stock powder
- 1 clove of fresh garlic, crushed
- 1 sprig of fresh origanum
- 3 table spoons of dried onion flakes
- 1 table spoon of brown sugar to ‘neutralize’ the acidic taste of the tomatoes
- pink salt and pepper to taste
- roast the halved vine tomatoes in a oiled baking tray on high heat for approx. 30 min
- while the tomatoes are roasting, combine all the other ingredients in a soup pot and let it come to the boil, once boiling, turn down the heat to medium and let it simmer for another 30min.
- remove the roasted tomatoes from their peels with 2 x forks, and add the flesh to the soup, remove from the heat and blend it to a silky smooth consistence with a hand blender
While the soup is simmering and tomatoes roasting, combine 2 handfuls of fresh basil leaves, 1/2 cup of raw cashews, 1/2 cup of cold pressed olive oil, juice of 1/2 a lemon, 1/2 teaspoon of salt in the food processor and blend until it is a course pesto, serve your soup with a generous dollop of this green yumminess.