Red cabbage has so many amazing health benefits, in fact many more so than green cabbage due to the purple colour that contains powerful phyto-nutrients.
Red cabbage is also very high in vitamin C, A and K, and it belongs to the cruciferous vegetable family, which in a nutshell means it is a excellent cancer fighter. So if you are going to make a coleslaw, why not make it a beautiful red cabage “rainbow” coleslaw.
This salad is super healthy, packed with fiber, vitamins, good fats and is grain, gluten and mayonnaise free, making it the perfect vegan, food combining meal. I love having it with either baked potatoes, or sweet potatoes for lunch.
- 1/2 medium sized red cabbage, finely shredded (use the rest in a veggie stir-fry)
- Three large carrots, shredded
- Handful of cashew nuts, raw, roasted or honey glazed cashews
- One avocado
- One tablespoon of honey
- Four heaped tablespoons of Tahini (I use Health Connection’s Tahini available from Checkers)
- Two tablespoons of cold pressed olive oil
- Juice of one medium lime
- one tablespoon of fresh minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon of pink salt
- Two tablespoons of Tamari sauce (I use the Health Connection Tamari Sauce avail. from health food stores, or Checkers)
- Black sesame seeds to sprinkle over before serving
It is so easy to make, combine the shredded cabbage & carrot in a big bowl, then in a smaller bowl mix all your dressing ingredients and toss it together with your slaw, before serving top with cashews, slices of avo and sesame seeds and it’s ready to eat.
Happy cooking & eating, with ♡ from the yoga kitchen