This recipe was inspired by my friend Monica after she described this yummy lentil & potato bake she makes….I still intend to get her recipe (and hopefully share it with you guys) but for now here is my version:
- organic waxy potatoes, scrubbed, pealed and then sliced thinly
- overnight soaked brown lentils (rinse them well of the soaking water, and then par-cook them in a salted water)
- 1 x tin of tomatoes
- 2 teaspoon of ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon of allspice
- 2 cloves of fresh garlic, grated or crush
- 1/4 cup of sun-dried onion flakes
- 1 kallo vegetable stock cube
- 1 cup of water
- once the lentils are par cooked (half cooked), add them to a large cast iron saucepan, or pot, then sauté them along with a drizzle of macadamia oil along with the garlic and spices, for about 5 minutes.
- Next add the chopped tomatoes, crumbled stock cube, water, salt to taste and sun-dried onions and allow this mixture to simmer for 30 min (without the lid) on low heat.
- Then add the sliced potatoes on top of this lentil ‘stew’ in a more or less single, but overlapping layer, add a bit of salt and pepper to taste and pop it in a pre-heated oven for another 30 min.
- Serve with a salad and some greens of your choice.
Happy cooking and wishing you radiant health ahead in 2019