Did you know that beans are a low fat, high energy food? Pretty perfect then, right?
I add beans to salads, tortillas and soup. But a bean chili is my favourite way to eat them.
- 1.5 (375ml) cups of dried black beans, soaked overnight
- 8 medium ripe vine tomatoes
- 1 red pepper, finely cubed
- 2 carrots, finely cubed
- 1.5 cup of shredded spinach
- 1 brown onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 1 teaspoon of ground cumin, 1 teaspoon of paprika, 1 teaspoon of coriander, pinch of cinnamon, pinch of smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon of vwggie stock powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of sugar
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- Coconut oil for stirfrying the veggies.
Start by cooking draining the overnight soaked beans, then transfer them to a cooking pot and add plenty of fresh, salted water, they will need aprox. 45 min on the hob, at medium heat.
Then chop and sauté the onions, carrots and pepper in a deep pan/ skillet3 for about 10 mintes, stirring frequently. Use coconut oil.
Next add the garlic and spices, and stir-fry for another 5 minutes, then add the chopped tomatoes, salt, pepper and sugar, and then turn down the heat, placing a lid on the pan, letting it simmer for approx. 15 minutes.
Lastly add the cooked beans and shopped spinach and give it a further 20 minutes on low heat, with the lid on.
Serve with quinoa, and a spicy sprinkle of cayenne pepper.